New Business License Requests

All business license requests must go through the Planning and Zoning committee.  Your application will be placed on the agenda.  Please plan to attend the meting to present your application to the committee for approval.  The Planning and Zoning committee meet every first Wednesday of the month (see schedule below).  Once approved by the Planning and Zoning committee, the applicant then goes before the Cleveland Town council for final approval.  The town council meets every second Thursday of the month.
Once approved by the town council, a business license will be issued by the town clerk and applicable fees will be paid. 

Cleveland Town business license application

Ordinance 248 Business and Contractor licenses

Cleveland Planning & Zoning


Chair:Tracy Randall
Tyler Rowley
Nancy Livingston
Lowell Gardner
Randy Jensen

The Cleveland Town Planning Commission meetings are held on the first Wednesday of every month in the town council room located at 130 West Main. Meetings will stat promptly at 7:00 pm on the following dates:

January 3, 2024                July 3, 2024
February 7, 2024     August 6, 2024
March 6, 2024   September 4, 2024
April 3, 2024   October 2, 2024
May 1, 2024   November 6, 2024
June 5, 2024   December 4, 2024

All meetings are open to the public. Residents are encouraged to attend and be involved in the progressive improvement of the community.

How do I get a building permit in Cleveland?

To get a building permit in Cleveland you must first present your building plans to the Cleveland Town Planning and Zoning Commission for approval. The commission meets at 130 W. Main in Cleveland on the first Wednesday of every month at 7 pm. You must call the town office at 435-653-2310 24 hours in advance to be placed on the agenda.

If the commission determines that all zoning requirements are met, the commission will approve the zoning clearance which will be signed by a member of the commission. The commission will make a copy of the approved zoning clearance. The applicant will then take the approved zoning clearance to the county courthouse (435-381-3555) where they will obtain the building permit and pay the applicable fees to the county. There are no fees owed to Cleveland Town for the zoning clearance.

Not all projects requiring a building permit require Cleveland Town planning and zoning approval. Please see list below. The asterisk marks items that require planning and zoning approval. If you are unsure of your projects approval requirements, please call the town office.          

Visit for complete instructions on building permits.

Depending on the nature of the project, other approvals such as water and sewer permissions may be required before you can apply for a building permit. The Castle Valley Special Service District will survey the property for new homes with new water and sewer connections. Fees to Cleveland Town will apply for water and sewer connections.

What kinds of projects in Utah require a building permit?

Permits are normally required for any type of construction work in Utah. This means building new structures as well as structurally altering or demolishing existing buildings. It also includes any changes to the intended purpose or occupancy of the building. A few examples of projects include:

*Building a new house

*Building an addition onto your house or office building

Interior remodeling that involves changing or moving walls, windows, and door frames

*Building accessory structures such as pools, decks, fences, and sheds

Finishing or converting part of a house such as the basement or an attic for new living space

*Repaving or building a driveway or sidewalk

Re-roofing or installing siding to a building


In addition to structural changes, certain electrical, mechanical, and plumbing work also requires permits. Generally anything beyond the most basic repairs in these areas will require a permit. Examples include:


Installing a new heating or air conditioning system

Installing a sprinkler or irrigation system

Rewiring or replacing any part of the building’s electrical system

Installing a gas stove, fireplace or water heater

Replacing or adding on to any part of the plumbing system, including replacing old and broken pipes


If a permit is required, you must get it BEFORE construction begins. Working without a permit can subject you to fines and penalties and may compromise the safety and value of the structure.