Building Permit Information

Building Permits for new homes and most improvements to an existing home will require a building permit.  Please contact the Town Office or the Emery County Planning & Zoning Office at 381-3555 to find out what is required for your project.  

How do I get a building permit in Cleveland?

To get a building permit in Cleveland you must first present your building plans to the Planning and Zoning Commission for approval. The commission meets at 130 W. Main in Cleveland on the first Wednesday of every month. You must call the town office at 435-653-2310 24 hours in advance to be placed on the agenda.

If the commission determines that all zoning requirements are met, the commission will approve the zoning clearance which will be signed by a member of the commission. The commission will make a copy of the approved zoning clearance. The applicant will then take the approved zoning clearance to the county courthouse where they will obtain the building permit and pay the applicable fees to the county. There are no fees owed to Cleveland Town for the zoning clearance.

Depending on the nature of the project, other approvals such as water and sewer permissions may be required before you can apply for a building permit. The Castle Valley Special Service District will survey the property for new homes with new water and sewer connections. Fees to Cleveland Town will apply for water and sewer connections.

What kinds of projects in Utah require a building permit?

Permits are normally required for any type of construction work in Utah. This means building new structures as well as structurally altering or demolishing existing buildings. It also includes any changes to the intended purpose or occupancy of the building. A few examples of projects include:

Building a new house
Building an addition onto your house or office building
Interior remodeling that involves changing or moving walls, windows, and door frames
Building accessory structures such as pools, decks, fences, and sheds
Finishing or converting part of a house such as the basement or an attic for new living space
Repaving or building a driveway or sidewalk
Re-roofing or installing siding to a building

In addition to structural changes, certain electrical, mechanical, and plumbing work also requires permits. Generally anything beyond the most basic repairs in these areas will require a permit. Examples include:

Installing a new heating or air conditioning system
Installing a sprinkler or irrigation system
Rewiring or replacing any part of the building’s electrical system
Installing a gas stove or fireplace
Replacing or adding on to any part of the plumbing system, including replacing old and broken pipes

If a permit is required, you must get it BEFORE construction begins. Working without a permit can subject you to fines and penalties and may compromise the safety and value of the structure.